- 1 x 445g Carême Sour Cream Pastry, defrosted
- 150g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup raw almond meal
- 135g light muscovado sugar (or soft brown sugar)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1.2 kg granny smith apples peeled & cored (use lemon juice to prevent them oxidizing)
- 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon and ginger
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 8 ginger snap biscuits* – crushed to a medium crumb
- 1 egg yolk beaten for glazing
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
*We used the Anna’s brand available in most supermarkets.
Click the +/- symbols or step heading to open or close the recipe steps
Step 1 - click here to display
Pre heat oven to 180c fan-forced.
Unroll pastry sheet and cut in half so you have two rectangles. Line each pie tin with the pastry leaving at least a 3cm overhang, place in fridge.
Step 2 - click here to display
Using a food processor pulse the butter, almond meal, sugar and lemon zest, until it forms a crumb.
Step 3 - click here to display
Slice apples approximately 1cm thick, place in a bowl and mix with the caster sugar and spices.
Sprinkle the crushed ginger snaps over the base of the pastry, followed by the apples pilling them high in the middle. Place the almond crumble mix over the apples until surface is covered.
Trim the pastry at each corner, this makes it easier to fold over. Now fold over and crimp the excess pastry around the outer edge of the apple to form a border. Brush the pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
Step 4 - click here to display
Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 180c fan-forced (200c non-fan). Serve warm with Crème Fraiche or whipped cream.
The plates and bowl featured in the shot above was kindly supplied by Eva Tscharke who makes beautiful handmade pottery available at their family winery located in the Barossa Tscharke’s Place .
Join us ‘around our kitchen table’,
seasonally inspired recipes to your inbox.
[contact-form-7 id=\”7500\” title=\”CampaignMonitorRegistration\”]