- 445g pack Carême Sourcream Shortcrust Pastry, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, peeled & diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 400g lean beef mince
- 2 teaspoons vegemite
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato chutney (we used Beerenberg tomato chutney)
- 1 large carrot, peeled & diced into ½ cm cubes
- 1 large Desiree potato, peeled & diced into ½ cm cubes
- 150g swede, peeled & diced into ½ cm cubes
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for glaze
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional
Click the +/- symbols or step heading to open or close the recipe steps
Step 1 - click here to display
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and line 2 baking trays with paper paper.
Step 2 - click here to display
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over a low heat, adding onion and garlic, stirring until well coated. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is tender.
Step 3 - click here to display
Increase heat to medium, add beef mince and cook for 5-10 minutes or until beef has browned. Add vegemite, stock, Worcestershire sauce, chutney, carrot, potato and swede, stirring to combine. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, remove lid and reduce liquid until mixture becomes thick. Remove from heat, add thyme, parsley and season with freshly ground black pepper, allow to cool completely.
Step 4 - click here to display
Using a 12cm cutter cut out 8 rounds and then re-roll to cut out another 2 rounds (or cut 8 squares). Place 2 tablespoons of cooled beef mixture, into the centre of each round, leaving a 2cm border around the edge. Brush border with egg glaze and bring pastry up to meet in the centre, encasing beef mixture. Pinch the edges together to seal.
Step 5 - click here to display
Place pasties on prepared baking trays, brush the outsides with egg glaze and sprinkle with poppy seeds (if desired).
Step 6 - click here to display
Place baking trays in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until pastry is puffed, golden and cooked through.