Cherry Frangipane Wreath Tart Recipe
Prep/Cook Time: 50mins
Skill Level: Intermediate
A beautiful cherry tart with a sweet almond frangipane filling, decorated with pastry leaves to resemble a Christmas wreath. Best made on the day it’s served, this tart can be eaten cold for afternoon tea or warm as a dessert.
- 445g packet Carême Wholemeal Spelt Shortcrust Pastry, defrosted
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 25g cornflour
- ½ cup (50g) almond meal
- 400g fresh cherries, pitted
- 1/3 cup (80g) cherry jam
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Icing sugar, to dust.
- Double thick cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Place the butter, vanilla and caster sugar in a small mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and 15g of the cornflour, mix until combined then stir in the almond meal.
- Toss the pitted cherries in the remaining corn flour and set to one side.
- Lightly dust work surface and pastry with flour. Use a 26cm round plate as a template to cut a circle. Place on prepared tray. Using a 4cm leaf shaped cutter, cut remaining pastry into leaves. Use a sharp knife to score a vein pattern on each leaf.
- Spread half the jam over pastry circle, leaving a 5cm border around the edge. Spread the almond mixture over jam. Arrange the cherries on almond mixture. Dollop teaspoons of the remaining jam over cherries. Fold the edge of the dough up and over the filling, pleating as you go, and brush the top of the exposed dough with beaten egg. Arrange two rows of leaves around exposed dough edge, sticking each with a little of the beaten egg. Brush leaves lightly with egg.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tart is golden. Cool tart on tray. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with thick cream.
TIP: If fresh cherries are unavailable, use 300g frozen black cherries that have been defrosted, drained and tossed in 1 tablespoon cornflour. This helps thicken any juice from the cherries, preventing the pastry from going soggy.