Chicken, Crème Fraîche and Kale Puff Pie with Classic Butter Puff Pastry
Prep/Cook Time: 40-50mins
Skill Level: Easy
Don’t be alarmed by the diagram below! This really is the easiest way to line a spring form tin with pastry.
- 2 x 375g Carême Classic Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 350g cooked shredded chicken
- 200ml creme fraiche
- 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 200° Celsius fan-forced.
- Line the base of a 20cm round spring form pan with spray oil and baking paper.
- Place kale in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 3 to 4 minutes or until wilted. Drain and roughly chop again.
- In a bowl combine chicken, kale, peas, tarragon and creme fraiche. Season with salt and pepper.
- This next bit requires a little bit of cutting, it might look fiddly but really it’s not hard and to make it easy we have included a diagram of how to cut the pastry from the first sheet.
- Cut: 1 x 20cm circle 1 x rectangular strip 20cm x 6cm and 2 x strips 26cm x 6cm.
- Line the base of the pan with the circle and brush the edge of the circle with beaten egg. Brush the ends of each of the longer pastry strips with egg, then line them along the inside edges/side of the pan, with the pastry overlapping the pastry on the base. Overlap each strip by 2cm and push the pastry together using your thumb.
- From the second packet cut a circle for the lid (wrap remaining pastry and re-freeze within 24 hours of defrosting).
- Spoon chicken mixture into pan and use the second circle to cover filling. Fold the sides of the pastry over the lid to encase, cut a cross in the centre. Brush with beaten egg bake for 30 mins or until the top of the pie is golden. Serve immediately.