Chocolate Hazelnut Mille Feuille
Prep/Cook Time: 1hr
Skill Level: Easy
An indulgent Easter recipe. Layers of flaky Butter Puff Pastry, chocolate, Nutella, toasted hazelnuts, topped with Ferrero Rochers. Surprisingly easy to prepare, with not too many ingredients; this may just become your new Easter tradition!
- 200g dark chocolate (min 70% Cacao)
- 300g Nutella
- 500ml whipping cream
- 1 x 375g Carême All Butter Puff Pastry, thawed
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 14 Ferrero Rocher Chocolates
- 100g Toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 70g dark chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- To make the whipped ganache, melt the dark chocolate in the microwave in 10 second bursts stirring between each burst until completely melted. Heat Nutella in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften and then stir into the chocolate until completely incorporated. Meanwhile heat half of the whipping cream on a stovetop until the edges start bubbling then add it to the chocolate mixture in three equal portions stirring with a spatula between each addition (to create an emulsion). Add the rest of the cold cream and stir until combined.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours until it is completely chilled. After two hours, place it in a stand mixture and whip on medium for 5 minutes until the ganache thickens and doubles in volume. Spoon the ganache into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle twisting slowly until the ganache is at the tip then refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Unroll the puff pastry, and cut out three 12cm x 27cm rectangles. Place on baking trays lined with baking paper, position cookie cutters on the corners of each tray, then top with another tray (this will cause the puff to puff up evenly and only as high as the cookie cutters. Bake for 8 minutes then reduce the heat to 200°C and cook for a further 8 minutes until the pastry is golden. Remove and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Assemble the mille feuille just before serving. On a platter place two dots of whipped ganache to hold the mille feuille in place and top with one layer of pastry. Pipe a layer of whipped ganache over the pastry and top with 1/3 of the chopped hazelnuts. Top with another layer of pastry and again pipe on whipped ganache and sprinkle 1/3 of the hazelnuts. Top with the final layer of pastry and then combine the dark chocolate and coconut oil and pour over the top of the final layer. Using the remaining ganache, pipe 14 dollops over the pastry topping each with an unwrapped Ferrero Rocher chocolate. Sprinkle over the remaining hazelnuts and serve immediately.