Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Pie
Utensils: 23 x 23cm baking dish
Notes: If roasting your own chicken roast the day before, leave to cool overnight then remove meat from bones and shred.
* If in a hurry and cannot wait for pie filling to cool, leave pie filling to cook for an additional 20 minutes on the stove top, when ready to serve transfer filling to a warmed baking dish. In the meantime, place pastry on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake the lid separate to the pie dish (you will get more lift from the pastry using this method). Place the cooked piece of pastry on top of the pie dish and serve.
- 1 x 375g Carême All Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for glaze
- 2kg whole ‘cooked’ chicken, meat removed from bones and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 brown onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 250g field mushrooms
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 125ml thickened cream
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 egg yolk beaten with a little milk for glazing
Click the +/- symbols or step heading to open or close the recipe steps
Step 1 - click here to display
Add olive oil to the pan over a medium-low heat. Add the celery, onion, garlic and mushrooms stirring to combine, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until onion is soft.
Step 2 - click here to display
Add the flour, stirring to combine followed by chicken stock and lemon zest. Add cooked chicken to the pan, then bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until mixture thickens.
Step 3 - click here to display
To finish add, cream, lemon juice and herbs to the mixture, check the seasoning, transfer to a 23cm x 23cm baking dish and allow to cool completely*.
Step 4 - click here to display
Preheat oven to 200°C fan-forced (220°C non fan).
Step 5 - click here to display
Step 6 - click here to display
Place pastry pie filling over baking dish, tuck in the sides and crimp, cut a vent from the center of the pastry, then score with a sharp knife, brush with egg glaze. Place on a baking tray, bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 180°C fan-forced (200°C non fan) and continue to bake for a further 15 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden.
Join us ‘around our kitchen table’,
seasonally inspired recipes to your inbox.
[contact-form-7 id=\"7500\" title=\"CampaignMonitorRegistration\"]