Spelt Pastry Cinnamon Easter Bunnies
Makes: 16 bunnies
- 2 x 375g packet Carême Spelt Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 30g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- Buttercream icing (we used a packet of Queen Buttercream Icing)
- A few drops blue and pink food colouring
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Unroll one sheet of Carême Spelt Butter Puff Pastry. Brush melted butter all over the pastry, leaving a 1-2cm border along top and bottom of the long edge.
- Sprinkle the buttered pastry with the cinnamon sugar leaving the unbuttered border empty. Brush the border of the pastry sheet with water and top with the second sheet of Carême Spelt Butter Puff Pastry.
- Crimp together the long edges top and bottom with the tines of a fork and using a pizza cutter, slice your pastry from top to bottom on the long edge until you have 16 thin slices of pastry.
- Take one piece of pastry and gently fold it around on itself. Fold the edges over each other twice until you have a twist and place the two edges at the top to form the “bunny ears”. You want to ensure that the cinnamon sugar filled edges are showing as much as possible. Repeat with remaining pastry pieces.
- Place on two large lined baking trays and bake for 16-18 minutes until the pastry is golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely. Once cooled, prepare buttercream icing as per the packet instructions and then divide into 3 equal portions. Leave one portion white, add a couple of drops of blue food colouring to the second portion and a couple of drops of pink food colouring to the third. Transfer each batch to a piping bag (or plastic zip lock bag) and cut a hole in the base. Pipe bunny tails in different colours on the cooled pastry bunnies and serve with leftover icing for dipping!