Freeform Peach Tart
- 435g pack Carême vanilla bean shortcrust pastry, thawed (also works with the sour cream shortcrust pastry)
- 50g quark or ricotta (BD Farm Paris Creek Quark is available in most supermarkets)
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons, chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 peaches (freestone variety), de-stoned & sliced
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Click the +/- symbols or step heading to open or close the recipe steps
Step 1 - click here to display
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
In a medium sized mixing bowl combine quark, ground almonds, cornflour, 1 teaspoon basil, zest and 1 tablespoon of sugar, stirring until well combined.
Step 2 - click here to display
On a lightly floured work surface, roll pastry to a thickness of 3mm. Cut out a 25cm round and place pastry on prepared baking tray. Evenly spread quark mixture over the centre of the pastry round, leaving a 2cm wide border. Toss peach slices in remaining sugar, place on top of quark mixture.
Step 3 - click here to display
Brush pastry edges with egg glaze before folding the pastry up around the peaches, to help secure the edges during cooking. Brush the outside pastry edges with egg glaze and and sprinkle with flaked almonds. Bake in preheated oven, for 35-40 minutes, or until pastry is cooked and golden.
Allow tart to cool for at least 10 minutes, then sprinkle with remaining basil and serve. This tart is delicious served warm or at room temperature.