Lamb & Quince Sausage Rolls
- 2 x 445g packs Carême sour cream shortcrust pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten, to glaze
- 1kg lamb shoulder, minced (ask your butcher to do this)
- 50g pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons lemon thyme leaves
- 4 anchovies, finely chopped
- 100g quince paste, finely chopped
- ¼ cup baby salted capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest ¼ cup pinenuts
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup (25g) semolina
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 150g (½ cup) whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
Click the +/- symbols or step heading to open or close the recipe steps
Step 1 - click here to display
Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced) and lightly grease baking trays and line with baking paper. For the egg glaze, mix the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside for later.
Place all the ingredients sausage filling together in a large mixing bowl, mixing until well combined. Evenly divide the lamb mixture into four.
Step 2 - click here to display
Place a pastry sheet on a lightly floured work surface and halve lengthways, to create two equal sized rectangles. Evenly distribute a quarter of the lamb mixture lengthways down the centre of one of the rectangles creating an even sausage; making sure that the pastry is able to encase the mixture.
Repeat with the remaining pastry rectangle. Firmly bring one long side of the pastry up against the sausage meat and lightly brush what will be the seam with the egg glaze. Repeat with the other side by firmly bringing the remaining pastry up and over the glazed pastry, creating a seal. This will be pretty tight and there should ideally be about a 1cm overlap. Repeat this process with the remaining pack of pastry.
Step 3 - click here to display
Place sausage rolls on prepared baking tray (seam side down) and chill for at least 30 minutes. Cut each large sausage into six sausage rolls, score the tops with a sharp knife and brush the outside pastry with the egg glaze. Evenly spread the sausage rolls out onto the prepared baking trays.
Place baking trays in preheated oven, for 35-40 minutes or until pastry is crisp and cooked through. Allow sausage rolls to cool slightly before serving.
Step 4 - click here to display
Meanwhile make the cheats lemon aioli by combining the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest and juice together in a small mixing bowl, stirring until well combined.
Serve the sausage rolls on a platter with the aioli.