Lamb Tagine Pot Pies
- 445g Carême sour cream shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for glaze
- 1kg leg lamb , boned and chopped (ask your butcher to do this)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Herbies tagine spice mix
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup (250g) pitted prunes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- ¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/3 cup (70g) slivered almonds, roasted
- ¼ cup roughly chopped coriander
- ¼ cup roughly chopped parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Click the +/- symbols or step heading to open or close the recipe steps
Step 1 - click here to display
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and lightly grease two baking trays with baking paper.
Place pastry on a lightly floured work surface. Cut out eight pastry rounds 2cm larger than the top of the ramekins. Fold back the edges by 1cm, creating a crimped edge.
Place pastry rounds on prepared baking trays, brush with egg glaze and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Step 2 - click here to display
Meanwhile place lamb and spice mix together in a large mixing bowl, mixing until well coated.
Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based casserole pan over a medium-high heat. Add lamb in batches, browning on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside for later.
Step 3 - click here to display
Add onion to the pan, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic, cook for a further two minutes. Return lamb to pan, followed by prunes, zest, juice and 500ml water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour.
Step 4 - click here to display
Remove the pastry rounds from the refrigerator, place in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until cooked and golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool
Step 5 - click here to display
To finish the tagine add almonds, coriander and parsley. Check the seasoning and adjust accordingly.
To serve tagine pot pies, divide tagine mixture between ramekins, top with pastry rounds and serve with cous cous and a green salad