Mushroom, Ham & Camembert Pithivier with All Butter Puff Pastry
Serves: 6 to 8
A golden, flaky pastry crust stuffed with earthy mushrooms, salty ham and creamy camembert makes this rich pithivier a dish worthy of any Christmas table’s centrepiece.
- 2 (375g packets) Carême All Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25g butter
- 2 French shallots, finely chopped
- 100g thick cut leg ham, chopped
- 500g mixed mushrooms
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150g Camembert cheese, cut in 2cm pieces
- 1 egg, beaten.
- In a large frypan, melt butter over medium heat and sauté shallots for 5-6 minutes until soft and golden. Add the ham and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add olive oil and increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden. Add thyme, garlic and shallot mixture and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and season well. Stir in half of the camembert and set aside to cool completely.
- Cut a 25cm diameter circle out of one sheet of puff pastry and spoon over half the mushroom mixture, leaving a 3cm pastry border. Top with remaining camembert, then the rest of the mushroom mixture. Brush the border with beaten egg.
- Cut a 27cm diameter circle out of the second sheet of puff pastry and lay it over the filling, smoothing down from the centre to remove air bubbles. Join it to the base circle and crimp with the tines of a fork to join the edges. Cut a small circle in the top for air to escape while cooking, brush with beaten egg and chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and place pithivier on a paper-lined baking tray. Brush with more egg and use the back of a paring knife to score curved lines from the centre to the edge of the pastry. Bake for 30 minutes until golden, crisp and puffed.
Serve with a green salad. Can be served hot or cold.