Serves: 4 as a main meal or 8 for a snack – Prep/Cook Time: 1hr – Skill Level: Easy
- 375g pack Carême all butter puff pastry, thawed
- 250g tub cherry tomatoes
- 20g butter
- 1 dessert spoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely sliced
- pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 100g thinly sliced Proscuitto, chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2/3 cup boccocini torn into pieces (La Casa Traditional Bocconcini)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg, beaten, for glaze
- sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper.Pre-heat a small saucepan over low to medium heat and add the butter, olive oil, garlic, whole cherry tomatoes, a pinch of salt (and sugar if tomatoes are tart) and chili flakes if using, cover with a lid and cook on low to medium heat for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes have formed a thick sauce, using a spoon break up the tomatoes half way through cooking . Once cooked spoon on to a plate to cool down.
- On a clean lightly floured work surface, roll pastry to a 38cm x 38cm square. Cut one rectangle 17cm x 38cm for the bottom and place on baking tray lined with baking paper, the remaining 21cm x 38cm rectangle is for the top. Leaving a 3cm border spread the cooled tomato sauce over the pastry. Evenly spread over the prosciutto, basil, bocconcini and parmesan. Brush border with egg glaze Carefully place remaining pastry over the pie filling, pressing the pastry edges together, to seal. Use a fork to help crimp the edges and seal. Brush all over with the beaten egg glaze and sprinkle the top with a little sea salt, oregano and nigella seeds. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to cool.
- Place baking tray in preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and cook for a further 25 minutes or until pastry is puffed, golden and cooked through.