Roast Chicken Veg Pie
- 40g butter
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 500g small cocktail potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken consommé
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large cooked chicken, skin discarded and chicken removed from bones
- 150g frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped lemon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 375g pack Carême All Butter Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
Click the +/- symbols or step heading to open or close the recipe steps
Step 1 - click here to display
Melt butter in a large casserole pan over a low heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes, stirring until well coated. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is soft.
Step 2 - click here to display
Increase heat to medium, add flour, stirring until vegetables are well coated. Add wine, consommé and juice, bring to the boil and stir until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and allow to completely cool.
Preheat oven to 200°C (180° fan-forced).
Step 3 - click here to display
Add chicken, peas, parsley, thyme and zest to the cooled vegetable mixture, stirring until well combined. Spoon the filling into a large family pie tin or ceramic dish.
Step 4 - click here to display
On a lightly floured surface roll pastry to a thickness of approximately 3mm. Cut 2cm wide strips to go around the edge of the tin, to help secure the pie top. Brush edges of pie tin with egg to help seal pastry strips to the tin.
Carefully place pastry strips around the edge and cover with remaining puff pastry to create a pie top. Trim edges, using off cuts for decorations. Brush pastry with egg and using a large skewer create three air holes, to allow steam to escape.
Place pie on a baking tray in preheated oven, for 50 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.
Allow pie to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Join us ‘around our kitchen table’,
seasonally inspired recipes to your inbox.
[contact-form-7 id=\"7500\" title=\"CampaignMonitorRegistration\"]