Roast Pumpkin, Caramelised Onion, Sage and Feta Tart
Prep/Cook Time: 30mins, plus 2 1/4 hours cooking time
Skill Level: Intermediate
- 445g Carême Spelt Wholemeal Shortcrust Pastry or Sour Cream Shortcrust Pastry, defrosted
- ⅓cup olive oil
- 2 brown onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1kg butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 100g goats feta, crumbled
- 1 tbsp sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 300ml sour cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 180c fan-forced (200c non-fan). Use a 26cm round plate to cut a circle of pastry, line a 22cm loose-bottomed tart tin with the pastry (remaining pastry can be returned to freezer if within 24 hours of defrosting). Line pastry with baking paper and fill to the top (this supports the sides as well as weighing down base during baking) with baking weights. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until sides look golden. Remove from oven and scoop out baking weights, remove paper and pop back in the oven for 8 minutes until base of tart is golden. Reduce oven to 160C fan-forced.
- Divide pumpkin between two baking trays, toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until evenly coated. Place baking trays in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, or until pumpkin is golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Reduce the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is soft. Add sugar, vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Spread the cooled caramelized onion over the base of the prepared tart shell, followed by the roasted pumpkin, feta and sprinkle over the sage. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, sour cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper, until well combined. Pour over the filling ingredients, making sure everything is covered by the egg mixture.
- Return tart to oven and bake for 35 minutes or until just set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, before removing tart tin.