Free-Form Rocket Pesto, Tomato and Mascarpone Tart
This is some free-form savoury tart goodness, right here! Made with Carême Wholemeal Spelt Shortcrust Pastry, this beautiful tart is packed full of healthy vegetables, and delicious flavours, making it the perfect lunch, afternoon snack or meat-free dinner.
- 50g baby rocket leaves
- 35g blanched slivered almonds
- 35g pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch salt
- 445g Carême Spelt Shortcrust Pastry, defrosted
- 3 large Heirloom tomatoes sliced
- 70g fresh mascarpone
- Smoked sea salt (or regular sea salt)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Baby rocket leaves, to serve
- 1 tablespoon EVOO, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced. Combine rocket, almonds, garlic and grated pecorino cheese in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined, then with the food processor on low, slowly pour 100ml olive oil down the spout in one steady stream. Scrape down the sides and pulse again until completely combined. Set aside.
- Lay the defrosted sheet of pastry flat on a sheet of baking paper. Leaving a 3-4cm gap around the edges, top evenly with the pesto. Then lay slices of tomato on top of the pesto and dot with teaspoon sized dollops of mascarpone. Season with sea salt and pepper, then fold the pastry border up and over the filling, pleating at the edges.
- Brush the border of the pastry with the egg and then transfer the tart and baking paper to a baking tray to bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool before serving. To serve, top with wild rocket leaves and drizzle with the remaining EVOO.