Whole Salmon Side en Croute
Prep/Cook Time: Prep – 20mins, Cook – 45mins
Skill Level: Easy
Whether it’s Christmas, or some other special time of year, your table laid with this delightful Whole Salmon Side en Croute wrapped in Spelt Butter Puff Pastry will surely impress.
- 2 x 375g Carême Spelt Butter Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1 whole salmon side, skinned, de-boned and cut in half
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large French shallot, diced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 100g Creme Fraiche
- 200g baby spinach
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 egg, beaten
- Melt butter in a medium frypan, then add the shallot and sauté until softened, but not browning. Add lemon zest and baby spinach, then remove from the heat and toss until the spinach has wilted. Set aside to cool, then add creme fraiche and dill, and season with salt and pepper.
- Season the salmon on both sides with salt and pepper. Place one sheet of pastry on a piece of baking paper and top with one half of the salmon side face up. Spoon the spinach mixture on top of the salmon and place the other half of the salmon over the top face down.
- Brush the pastry surrounding the salmon with beaten egg and top the salmon with another sheet of pastry, pressing down around the edges to seal. Cut around the pastry in the shape of a fish and use the off cuts to make fins (attaching them with beaten egg) and then mark “scales” all over the pastry using the rounded edge of a soup spoon. Using the back of a knife, score lines on the fins.
- Preheat oven to 190°C fan-forced (210°C conventional).
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before baking, then bake for 40-45 minutes until the pastry is golden and serve immediately.
TOP TIP: If the pastry ‘fins’ and ‘tail’ become too golden when baking, cover these portions with aluminium foil to stop them from browning.