Steak and Mushroom Pie Recipe with Classic Butter Puff Pastry
Prep/Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Skill Level: Easy
A classic and warming steak and mushroom pie recipe for winter that the whole family will love! Easy and delicious, just prepare and cook the filling to start, allow to cool, then top with Carême butter puff pastry and bake.
- 375g packet Carême Classic Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 20g dried porcini mushrooms
- 200ml hot water
- 800g chuck steak, cubed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 250g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 400ml beef stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a bowl cover the dried porcini with the hot water and set aside for 20 minutes to infuse. After 20 minutes remove and finely chop the porcini mushrooms and retain the soaking liquid.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 8-10 minutes, add Swiss brown mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the meat to the pan fry for 5 minutes until browned on all sides. Sprinkle the flour over the meat and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for 1 minute then return the mushroom mixture to the pan and add the bay leaves, stock, porcini mushrooms and the porcini soaking water.
- Cover and simmer for 60 minutes then uncover and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender. Transfer to a pie dish and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Top filling with puff pastry and cut a slit in the top for air to escape (or cut a hole in the pastry and use a pie funnel). Brush pastry with beaten egg and bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden.