Roasted Strawberry and Lemon Thyme Tart
Zest is best in this to-die-for Roasted Strawberry and Lemon Thyme Tart! Lots and lots of fresh strawberries, zesty lemon citrus, and our light and flaky Carême Wholemeal Shortcrust Pastry. Simply divine!
- 445g Carême Spelt Shortcrust Pastry, thawed
- 2 x 250g punnets fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8 Sprigs lemon thyme, leaves reserved & extra to serve
- 1 x 250g punnet fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
- 4 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut a pastry circle to fit the base of a round non-stick spring form pan, then 2.5cm strips to form the sides of the tart. Place the base in the tin and the strips around the sides, pressing the sides together to the base to ensure they meet and join. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes prior to baking.
- Remove from fridge and prick the base with a fork, and line with baking paper and baking weights. Blind bake for 10 minutes then remove baking paper and weights and bake for another 5. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Hull and slice the strawberries lengthways and then toss with lemon juice and zest, and set aside. Combine the cornflour and 1 tablespoon of the muscovado sugar and sprinkle on the base of the tart case, then top with the lemon thyme. Lay strawberry slices on top ensuring they overlap. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the tart is cooking and cooling, make the syrup. Combine the chopped strawberries and simple syrup in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil while stirring. Add the muscovado sugar and stir while bubbling for 5 minutes until the syrup has thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon easily. Remove from the heat and drain the syrup from the strawberries. Gently pour the thickened syrup over the filling of the tart and set aside in the fridge overnight to cool and thicken further. Serve with fresh lemon thyme leaves and whipped cream.