Roasted Strawberry and Lemon Thyme Tart
Zest is best in this to-die-for Roasted Strawberry and Lemon Thyme Tart! Lots and lots of fresh strawberries, zesty lemon citrus, and our light and flaky Carême Wholemeal Shortcrust Pastry. Simply divine!
- 445g Carême Spelt Shortcrust Pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 x 250g punnets fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8 sprigs lemon thyme, leaves reserved & extra to serve
- 1/2 cup caster sugar + 1/2 cup water
- 1 x 250g punnet fresh strawberries chopped
- 4 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced. Cut a pastry circle to fit the base of a round 24cm non-stick spring form pan, then cut 4.5cm wide strips to form the sides of the tart. Line the base of the tin with baking paper, then place the pastry in the tin. Brush outer edge of pastry with beaten egg and place the strips around the sides, pressing the sides to the base to ensure they meet and join. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes prior to baking. Line chilled pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or dried chickpeas. Blind bake for 15 minutes, then remove baking paper and weights and bake for another 5. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Hull and slice the strawberries lengthways and then toss with lemon juice and zest, and set aside. Combine the cornflour and 1 tablespoon of the muscovado sugar and sprinkle on the base of the tart case, then top with the lemon thyme. Lay strawberry slices on top ensuring they overlap. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the tart is cooling, make the syrup. Combine the caster sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat until dissolved, then add the chopped strawberries and bring to a gentle boil while stirring. Add the muscovado sugar and stir while bubbling for 5 minutes until the syrup has thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon easily. Remove from the heat and drain the syrup from the strawberries. Allow to cool then gently pour the thickened syrup over the filling of the tart and set aside in the fridge for 2 hours to cool and thicken further. Serve with fresh lemon thyme leaves and whipped cream.